This course focuses on recent and emerging developments in the digital media sector that have had a significant impact on the media industry in different parts of the world. We specifically explore the impact of the digital media channels on African media and explore the essential concepts in managing a multi-platform media firm, especially now that increasing numbers of Africans have increased and cheaper access to high speed bandwidth. Participants learn from the experiences of each other as they exchange view on what they do in their own media firms. Participants are also exposed to case studies of successful online and mobile strategies by newspapers and other media and we give the attendees tools to assess whether these could be adopted in the African context.
The course is primarily intended for editors and senior editorial staff responsible for developing and implementing new media strategies for their respective organisations. The course will also benefit production staff and journalists who increasingly have to think differently about the content they produce and the platforms for which they produce. Participants who are grappling with the questions of how new technologies will shape the future of the industry, but does not assume advanced technical knowledge will finds the course beneficial.
The course will provide participants with insights and practical skills to help them make direct interventions in their respective radio stations and television channels, and will cover the following key areas:
• Overview of the development of digital media
• Digital media business models
• Mobile media business models
• Case study and group work
• Big data: collecting, using and selling data
• Analytics and conversion analysis
• Journalism and social media
• Application and web development
• New trends in digital journalism
• Useful tools for digital journalism
• Cross-media content management
• Emerging trends in digital technologies
• Legal and ethical issues in the online environment
• New ideas group work
Participants who successfully complete a short assignment at the end of the course will be awarded an Essentials of Digital Media Management certificate from Rhodes University.