Material Design for Developers
Dependencies and Prerequisites
- Android 5.0 (API level 21)
Material design is a comprehensive guide for visual, motion, and interaction design across platforms and devices. To use material design in your Android apps, follow the guidelines described in the material design specification and use the new components and functionality available in Android 5.0 (API level 21).
This class shows you how to create material design apps with the following elements:
- The material theme
- Widgets for cards and lists
- Custom shadows and view clipping
- Vector drawables
- Custom animations
This class also teaches you how to maintain compatibility with versions of Android earlier than 5.0 (API level 21) when you use material design features in your app.
- Getting Started
- Learn how to update your app with material design features.
- Using the Material Theme
- Learn how to apply material design styles to your app.
- Creating Lists and Cards
- Learn how to create lists and cards with a consistent look and feel using system widgets.
- Defining Shadows and Clipping Views
- Learn how to set elevation for your views to create custom shadows and how to clip views.
- Working with Drawables
- Learn how to create vector drawables and how to tint drawable resources.
- Defining Custom Animations
- Learn how to create custom animations for views and activity transitions with shared elements.
- Maintaining Compatibility
- Learn how to maintain compatibility with platform versions earlier than Android 5.0.
If you prefer to learn through interactive video training, check out this online course about material design for Android developers.